Tag Archives: browsers

SlingBox SOLO

How to Fix the SlingBox Player on Chrome When It Asks to Install Over and Over

I love my SlingBox.  It is one of the most heavily-used components in my house.  In general, the device has always worked extremely well and been headache-free for years.

However, a few weeks ago, a new update for the Chrome SlingBox player (version 2.4) was released and was a required update to continue accessing the SlingBox via Chrome.  However, when I tried to install the update on a Windows 7 machine, it would appear to install without error and ask me to agree to the license agreement.  But when I clicked “Agree”, it would simply start the process over…reinstall the plugin and ask to agree.

I tried the usual tech support tricks of clearing the browser cache, restarting the browser, and rebooting the machine.  None of them worked.

After a little digging in Chrome’s settings, I realized that a very old version of the SlingPlayer for Web extension was still installed (version 1.5 in my case).  I deleted the old extension and reopened the new version of the player.  The new version of the player now worked without a hitch.

My guess is the new version of the player has trouble unloading the old extension when it installs and the two don’t play nicely together if they’re both running in the same browser.  It would be nice if the new version of the player at least presented a dialog saying an old version of the player is installed and must be deleted manually during install rather than failing silently, but that’s water under the bridge at this point.

Regardless, the problem is easy to solve once you know what’s going on.

To delete the old version of the extension:

  1. Click the “Three Bars” button to the right of the address bar.
  2. Click Settings from the menu.
  3. Click Extensions in the column on the left.
  4. Find SlingPlayer for Web in the list of extensions that are shown.
  5. Verify that it’s a version older than 2.4.
  6. Click on the trash can button to the right of the SlingPlayer for Web name to delete the extension.
  7. Re-install version 2.4 of Chrome SlingPlayer.

That should be all that’s needed to get your SlingBox happily working with Chrome again.  If you’d like a second opinion about what to do, here’s a link to the SlingBox support site that describes roughly the same process I described above.